Saturday, April 23, 2011

Faith, Guilt and Psychological Manipulation

As a person struggling between faith and reason, I have been ridden with guilt over my reasons for not believing. As I have previously explained my loss of faith had nothing to do with a desire to ignore my responsibility to God, but the current guilt I am experiencing comes from just that. It stems from the claim that ‘You don’t want to believe because you want to live a sinful life’. In a way that is true, there are things in my life that I want that being a Christian would force me to give up, such as my relationship with my girlfriend, which I simply do not want to lose.

Then I come to the reasoning in my mind that if evolution is a fact then the whole Bible begins to fall apart, so then I am free from this guilt trip. But then Christian apologists will spout arguments like ‘The reason that atheists cling so tightly to evolution is because it appeals to their desire to live without God in their lives’. In a way they are right, evolution and science appeal to my desire to live my life without irrational beliefs clouding my mind and holding back my potential.

So it is a circle with no escape. There is no escape from this irrational belief system founded on no evidence whatsoever that is contradicted by observable fact, but if one tries to free oneself from the stranglehold of religion then they are wicked.

So Christians are correct. I want to live my life free from the guilt placed upon me by a moral code written in support of a belief system that has no evidence to back up its claims.

You have to believe without evidence that the Bible is true, and dismiss all evidence that it is not, simply by faith.

This is psychological manipulation. Another claim is that people only want to be atheists because they are angry at God. That is not correct, specifically in my case. I am not angry at God, I am angry at being psychologically manipulated, told not to use my intellect because to do so is to espouse a wicked humanistic viewpoint, and having my freedom of thought crushed under the foot of a belief system that does nothing to back itself up before trying to take away all that I treasure in my life, because it claims that the desires and emotions I was born with are immoral and sinful, due to a fall of man that evolution shows most probably never even happened. So if evolution is correct and the fall of man never occurred then nobody is born in original sin and we are free. Free from a system of morality that has no basis in reason or fact. Free from being told that to scrutinize any belief that has no supporting evidence is foolishness in the eyes of God. Free from being told ‘not to lean on your own understanding’, because of course my fallen human mind is easily deceived by the so called evidence that science presents, while the inerrant, infallible Bible is exempt from being scrutinized. Yes I am angry. I am angry, and tired of being psychologically manipulated by fear and guilt, and being told that the collecting wisdom of mankind is infinitely inferior to belief system based on nothing but legends and tales that can’t be verified in any way. In this way I am a freedom fighter, I fight for free and rational thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment